Ever since being diagnosed, I have done a lot of research on things that would help me manage my mental health. Support groups are a great way to manage your mental health in a positive way. I have attended many support groups and I love all that support groups stand for. Below are 5 great reasons to attend a support group.
- Shared Experiences – When you attend a support group, you meet up with people who share similar experiences and circumstances as you. This allows you to feel comfortable.
- Open and honest communication – You can engage in honest communication about your experiences with people who are familiar with what you are going through without the judgement you may face from those who are not in similar circumstances.
- Sense of community – You feel like you are a part of an exclusive club when you a part of group of peers who share a similar experience.
- Comparison of resources – Being in a support group is a great way to share tips, resources, and advice on your illness and treatment.
- Developing and understanding of your situation - When you surround yourself with people who share similar expeiences as you, you are able to look at your situation in a way that you may not have done so in the past. This gives you a new outlook on your circumstances, and this may be for the better.
If you are dealing with a mental health issue and are looking for a healthy way to deal with it. Consider a support group. It may be just what you need.